Leaking roof

Before I painted, I used body filler to patch some rips and holes in the roof (from a tree limb?)  Sanded and painted over, along with many other questionable and rusted rivets, I felt confident that I had fixed most of the roof issues.  I was sure there would be more in the future.  Heavy rains last week demonstrated some issues, and it looks like most are seams, as they all stopped when I moved the bus uphill – all but one. The one dripping on to the driver’s dash. The primary suspect is this guy. Not sure what it is or purpose, or even what problems I will cause if I caulk it/remove it?

 

Inside, beneath the vent, the ceiling looked like this….

 

Advice from the skoolie.net crowd yielded the advice the vent was not needed, and was often problematic, so I got to pryin and cuttin.

then I had to administer a beat-down, to make the roof “flush” for the new patch.

post beat down

 

 

patch installed, lotsa sticky jelly underneath and around edges

 

remnants

Results:
Front drip over the dash? GONE
3rd Passenger window drip? GONE
2 of the 4 rear leaks? Gone, but only 2 of them.

the 2 remaining drips are most likely due to the fact I skipped some rear seams, and was stingy on the other rear seams to conserve the 212 – yes, I knew what I was doing. So I had to crawl back up there, but at least I am confirming the 212 works.  Now waiting for a bigger storm to confirm, no more leaks.  Maybe I can build some cabinets now?

 

Engineering challenge #1

#1 challenge appears to be solved, with 2 bolts, 2 nuts, 4 washers, and a $14 c-channel, cut in half and drilled, combined with an aluminum ramp I had already.  The only other addition is a kickstand platform, to keep the bike from leaning too far.

Works pretty damn well.

And the bike as it sits in the rear of the bus.

20150406_142647

My new home is in the driveway

20150328_075205600 miles to Ohio, and 600 miles back – a great ride back. but rolling in at 2:30 in the morning was pretty suck.  The preview to my new adventure got off to a good start, with no catastrophic failure.  Not sure I could have even recovered from a bad tire, after spending almost all reserves on the bus  and travel expense.  Cutting it close, but I need to get started now while I have a base.

20150328_155131Ripped out the seats, and cleaned the rubber puke mat, after the fail of attempted removal of flooring.  I estimate it has 700 bolts that must be CUT out from UNDER the bus, and I doubt that I can even get to them all.  So the puke mat stays for now, I will build on top of it.

20150328_122032

 

20150402_091149My next challenge is to refit the wheelchair lift to allow me to lift a motorcycle, and load it into the rear of the bus   Right, it looks as simple as extending the ramp about 18 inches to get the bike UP to the bus.